Once the Blockout is completed and placed into Unreal Engine, I then began finding references to help me with proper topology for rigging the hands and legs, making it able to bend properly without pinching and warping. Here are my reference pictures I found and used:
So first I started to quad draw and retopologizing the leg and once finished I then rigged it to see if it would work. It seemed to work very well because there wont be too much movement in the leg but the topology is important not only for the model but to help me learn how to topologize for rigging since it was something we haven't really touched on.
Once I modeled the leg I then moved to the blocked out hand, making it high poly and retopologizing it properly. I first completely remade the hand in lowpoly just to get a more correct shape then making it a little more highpoly. I then rigged that just to see how it would function. The first version the fingers bent more like a sausage and not bending properly like fingers do. I then retopologized his hand by using the many references I found and shaping the fingers a little. Rigging that version worked a lot better with the fingers.
Below are my text rigs, the top two hand poses are the first version without the retopo on the back of the fingers and the fingers aren't very good but the wrist looked very good where as the bottom two pictures which are retopoed the fingers bend a lot better where as the wrist is now too warpy. I will need to fix that whether it is weight painting or changing the topology.
Of course also to complete more of my vertical slice, I fully modeled and uv'd the body, legs, mask and sphere. Moving on now, I began texturing in 3DCoat. Now the reason I chose 3DCoat and not Substance Painter is because this piece is so nicely hand painted I want to be able to paint on the mesh, on the UV's and in Photoshop and 3DCoat was the option that allowed me to do all three without much difficulty.
Getting the hang of the controls it took me a while to figure out how I want to paint this piece. I talked with John to see if I should bake my lighting in or not. The final decision was not to therefore I began to paint with only some shadows that would be there most likely no matter the lighting. I painted the leg first to get into the groove and then moved onto the mask.
Using the colours and patterns in the original concept I tried to replicate what I could. Of course the body and mask aren't completely done, just showing my work in progress so far.
Finally something else I need to have figured out for vertical slice is my lighting and post processing in Unreal. Basing my lighting on this reference picture below I got it close to what I want however I want the scene to be darker because the lighting is going to be mostly from the creatures sphere and eyes, as well as the butterflies.
That is what I have done so far in the past two weeks as well as trying to juggle my P1 project too. I'm slightly behind but I have this weekend for catch up but I'm doing pretty well.